[This episode is part of the Health and Wellness Changemakers Series, our collaboration with Shohreh Davoodi's Redefining Health and Wellness Podcast. This post is cross-posted from Shohreh's website.]
PODCAST CLUB - Join our private Facebook group to discuss this episode on Thursday, May 14.
Anna Chapman is an unapologetically fat-positive person, but it has taken her a lot of hard work to get to this point. By reclaiming words that were once used to hurt her, abandoning the pursuit of “flattering” in order to discover what feels good, and learning to become more grounded in her body, Anna has been able to thrive. And in this episode, she talks about how you can learn to do the same.
Discussed in this episode:
- Who Anna is and what she’s all about, including the podcast she just started.
- Brand strategy and some of the mistakes brands make when trying to reach fat folx.
- The problem with the idea of “flattering.”
- Anna’s advice for how someone can stop dressing for others and start figuring out what they actually want to wear.
- The importance of practicing pleasure.
- Anna’s experience being a part of Joyn and how accessibility and options have been at the forefront.
- How exercise still “counts” even if it doesn’t meet preconceived notions of what exercise “should” be.
- What inspired her “mindful minute” series on social media.
- Anna’s personal experience of reclaiming the word “fat.”
- Her advice for how you can begin this reclamation for yourself if you want to.
- The role that non-fat people play when it comes to being an ally to fat people.
- How the fat community is not a monolith and members of the community have differing and ever-changing opinions.
- How Anna defines health and wellness for herself at this moment in her life.
Mentioned in this Episode:
- Anna’s podcast, where you belong
- Shops with plus-size clothing available, such as Torrid, Lane Bryant, and Universal Standard
- Pleasure Activism by adrienne maree brown
- Fat-positive joyful movement classes through Joyn
- Be Nourished started by Hilary Kinavey and Dana Sturtevant
This Episode is Part of the Health and Wellness Changemakers Series
Sponsored by Superfit Hero
If you enjoyed the Superfit Hero Wellness Tip of the Week with Julie Shiller of Tapestry - Mind. Body. Lifestyle from Long Beach, California, check out the dozens of amazing coaches and trainers on Superfit Hero’s Body Positive Fitness Finder.
Subscribe & Review in Apple Podcasts
Subscribing to the podcast is the best way to make sure you never miss an episode. Click HERE to subscribe in Apple Podcasts.
Additionally, if you’ve been enjoying the podcast, leaving a review helps make sure that other people who could benefit from this content can actually find it. Click HERE, scroll down to “Ratings and Reviews”, and click where it says “Write A Review” to tell me about your favorite part of the podcast.
Anna Chapman is a fat-positive Yoga and meditation teacher, joy creator, brand strategist, emotional researcher, and badass, untrained, free-form dancer. Anna’s mission in life is to help create liberated spaces for fat folx to thrive and heal. You can find Anna on her website, Instagram, and podcast.
Other Ways to Enjoy this Episode:
- You can also listen to this episode on Apple Podcasts, Stitcher, Spotify, Google Play, & more, or right-click HERE and select “Save Link As” to download this episode to your computer.
- For a full transcript of this episode, click HERE.
- Join the conversation in the free Redefining Health & Wellness Facebook group, or with Shohreh on Instagram, Facebook, or Twitter.
Support the Podcast!
Each episode of the Redefining Health & Wellness podcast is lovingly brought into the world through an investment of time, money, and energy. If you appreciate the podcast and what you are learning from it, consider leaving a tip through Paypal, Venmo or the Cash app. Every dollar supports my livelihood and the creation of this important content.
Cash App: cash.app/$ShohrehDavoodi